When dealing with water damage in Minneapolis, immediate action is vital to saving yourself a lot of property and money. It is important to contact professionals who specialize in water damage. A quick search for ‘water damage Minneapolis’ will give you a comprehensive list of all the possible professionals who can be of great help during this time.
Professional water damage services
But even as you wait for these professionals to respond to your call and get to your location, there is still a few steps that you could be taking to minimize the degree of damage and level of loss that might occur due to this catastrophe.
This being said, here are some useful water damage tips that will help you cope and probably save some of your property, including your house.
What to do before help arrives
What you need to know is that your initial concern should be safety. Even though it might be painful to see your property get soaked and possibly damaged, your safety is key:
- Do not go back or stay in the house if it doesn’t seem safe- Be on the lookout for any electrical wires and outlets that might be interacting with the water
- Remember that wet materials are much heavier than they would normally be, so you need to be careful if you intend to lift or drag anything
- Be on the lookout for ‘slip and fall’ hazards that could pose a threat to your safety
What you should do after a flooding
- Try to remove the excess water by mopping it up and blotting if at all possible- If you have any colored rugs in the carpet, be sure to eliminate those to minimize damage to the carpet
- If you can, remove any furniture and prop up any wet upholstery to dry. Be careful when moving furniture, water logged items can be slippery and hefty
- Place wood blocks or aluminum foil between your furniture legs and the wet carpet
- Remove anything that isn’t too heavy and try to take them outside to dry
Before the professionals arrive, do not turn on any electrical appliances or even ceiling fixture is you suspect that the water sipped into the walls and ceiling. As mentioned earlier, your safety is paramount here, and electricity does not play well with water.
Once help arrives, let them do their job. These are people who know all there is to know about water damage restoration in Minneapolis.